On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:25:09PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:56:58 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:46:28PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >> I'm following the instructions in
> >>   http://inz.fi/blog/2007/10/22/multi-target-development-for-maemo/
> >> as advised by Graham Cobb, and have run into a snag.
> >
> > Been there, done that, have a working scratchbox.
>
> I seem to off track now.  Things are not behaving as I expect from the
>  instructions.  Running the next commend in the list gives me:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sb-conf rs mistral-armel
> /scratchbox/packages/mistral-armel-rootstrap.tgz
>
> You dont have active target in scratchbox chroot.
> Please create one by running "sb-menu" before continuing
>
> sb-conf: No such target: mistral-armel
> sbrsh-conf: No current target

It looks to me as if you skipped one step from that list.  The command

  sb-conf st mistral-armel -c cs2005q3.2-glibc-arm \
    -d debian-sarge:maemo3-tools:cputransp:doctools:perl:maemo3-debian \
    -t qemu-arm-0.8.2-sb2

creates the mistral-armel target, and the next command

  sb-conf rs mistral-armel /scratchbox/packages/mistral-armel-rootstrap.tgz

unpacks the rootstrap inside it.  Then the last command

  sb-conf in mistral-armel -c -e -d -F

does some extra configuration steps, but I've forgotten what those are
(symlinking libc headers and tools like fakeroot into the appropriate
places inside your target, IIRC).

> And sb-menu gives me a lot of choices without explaining what they mean.
> What, for example, is a target?

Sort of like a chroot.  A directory that contains all the tools needed
for building packages for a particular Maemo version and CPU
architecture.

> If 'mistral', 'bora', and 'chinook' are
> targets, isn't setting them up what these instructions I'm following are
> supposed to do?

Yes.

> It looks as if things have changed since these
> instructions were written, or else that my installation has been
> derailed somehow and I should wipe it and start over, with a different
> debconf priority.

Nah, forget debconf.  You've got scratchbox installed -- check.
You've got a scratchbox user -- check.  Now you need to set up the
targets for cross-compilation.  If you screw up in a target, you can
always nuke it with

  rm -r /scratchbox/users/$username/targets/$targetname*

and start fresh with the sb-conf st/rs/in trio (or, to use longer
command name aliases, sb-conf setup/rootstrap/install).

> I feel like I'minstalling slackware again, but without the handy few
> pages of paper telling me what's going on.

Oh, yes.  "Some assembly required" indeed.

Certainly!  http://scratchbox.org/documentation/

> > By the way, if you run a recent distro with a recent kernel, you'll get
> > other problems in the future.  Errors like
>
> I'm running lenny with its up-to-date kernel.  Thanks for warning me
> what's coming,
>

> >   "Inconsistency detected by ld.so: rtld.c: 1192: dl_main: Assertion
> >   `(void *) ph->p_vaddr == _rtld_local._dl_sysinfo_dso' failed!"
> >
> > are fixed by
> >
> >   echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled
> >
> > and
> >
> >   "mmap: Permission denied"
> >
> > is fixed by
> >
> >   echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr
>
> Do these have to be reentered every time I reboot?

Yes.  If you don't want to do that, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and
add

  vm.vdso_enabled = 0
  vm.mmap_min_addr = 4096

in there, then those commands will be automatically executed on every
reboot.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
Please note that I only check linux-utf8 on Tuesdays when they happen
on a tenth of December, so please CC me with any replies.