On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 17:45 +0300, ext Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Niels Breet wrote:
> > It has been a while since we had a discussion about the future requirements
> > of the extras repository. Since there haven't been any concrete proposals
> > for what we can do for the short-term, I have made a proposal[1] on the
> > wiki. With this proposal I am trying to push the repository reform. If we
> > want change, we need to act.
> >
> > I would really appreciate it if you could look at this proposal and see
> > if you like/dislike this. Remember that this proposal is for Diablo, the
> > more ambitious plans [2] might be a goal for Fremantle. This also depends
> > on your support to various parts of the process.
> >
> > Please discuss the proposal on this mailinglist or on the wiki discussion
> > page[3].
>
> ---------------------------
>            o The autobuilder will do some really basic QA, basically it
> only checks if the package builds.
>            o It will also prevent packages with broken dependencies from
> entering the repository.
>
> We might want to add more checks later, but don't want to make it
> impossible for new developers to upload packages.
> ---------------------------
>
> Even for extras-devel I would require that packages are also:
> - installable
> - removable
>
> Extras could then check that the package is also upgradable
> (at least from previous version).
>

> I guess autobuilder uses Sbox, so it would be checking installation
> against GNU utilities instead of the more restricted Busybox version
> that are on the device, but at least that's better than nothing.
>
> (If system Qemu starts working well enough, maybe testing installation
> could be done with it some time in the future...)

This is all good, but I don't think it makes sense to do in now.
The main problem with extras for now are the maintainers' attitude.
There were a lot of discussions about extras previously on this list and
no real actions were done by community.

After we accomplished Misha's plan[1] several months ago[2] we had no
feedback and almost nobody used autobuilder and promoter.

Now we have the same situation with rebuild. Niels is asking developers
to fix their packages, but I don't see much progress with this either.
We have only 10% more buildable packages for more than week of this
action.

With this attitude I don't think it's feasible to go further and develop
additional features which will not be used again. Instead we should
probably concentrate on encouraging maintainers to actually use the
tools and to give feedback. From this point of view Niels proposal is
more than enough for now.

[1] http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//maemo-developers/2007-November/030266.html
[2] http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2008-April/033195.html

Regards,