On Wednesday 25 June 2008 09:43:31 Ed Bartosh wrote:
> Now we have the same situation with rebuild. Niels is asking developers
> to fix their packages, but I don't see much progress with this either.
> We have only 10% more buildable packages for more than week of this
> action.

A week is a long time for someone funded to work on this full time.  It is
nothing at all for people working on this in their spare time!

In my case, a big problem is dependencies which were previously uploaded into
Extras without sources.  It would really help if you were to consider taking
those packages which do not have sources and just copying the chinook package
into diablo.  Or, at least, considering it as an exception process for
specific packages!

I realise that we all want to fix Extras so it is fully buildable for source.
The problem is timing.  Personally, I am very busy at the moment and am
finding it hard to get time to research, port, build and upload packages
which I have never touched but which are dependencies of my packages.  A week
is nothing like enough -- at this rate it will be more like a month!

If I had the dependencies I need, I am sure the GPE packages would build
correctly straight away (they already do for chinook extras-devel).  And if
there were problems I could fix them quickly.

So, I don't disagree with the goal of requiring everything to build from
scratch but it is going to hold up availability of my packages unless someone
can help with the dependency problem.  Anyone funded by Nokia who can spend a
bit of time on making some standard Debian packages available?

Graham