Hi all,

I'm not much of a developer, but I really think it would be a good idea to
get a couple OpenGL wrappers ready for Fremantle.

I have a thread on talk.maemo.org[1], but maybe I should be posting here
too.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29085

I think there should be a wrapper for applications that use OpenGL directly,
and maybe an SDL library for games that use OpenGL via SDL.

There's work in this area for the Pandora, but I haven't seen much yet for
Maemo devices.

I propose starting with a simple test game like Armagetron Advanced [2],
which actually runs on an N800 at 3 fps with software OpenGL rendering. This
game uses SDL and the mesa GL libraries, which suggests that an SDL library
like the one developed for the Pandora [3] might work here.

[2] http://packages.debian.org/lenny/armagetronad

[3] http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=48023

Like I said, I'm not really a developer, and I can't really take these ideas
and make them happen. But I'm paying close enough attention to these things
to see that this seems to be an important gap in the available software
right now.

I would prefer comments on my talk.maemo.org thread, but you can discuss
here, too.

--
enthusiast, n. "One whose mind is wholly possessed and heated by what
engages it; one who is influenced by a peculiar fervor of mind; an ardent