Hi,

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 20:22 +0200, ext Qole wrote:
> Kimmo and Quim:
>
> First of all: I did not start this thread as an attack on the Maemo
> team, nor was my comment, "that's disappointing," meant as an attack.
> It is a simple statement of fact; it is disappointing to me that Maemo
> 5 does not yet have the infrastructure in place to be able to run
> hardware-accelerated 3D graphics in OpenGL ES applications.

Running HW-accelerated games (using OpenGL ES2.0) is possible even today
by stopping the hildon-desktop (compositor) first.

I have a version of hildon-desktop + libmatchbox2 + libclutter that
allows switching off the compositor when your window is shown with a
special window property. This works, but when showing, e.g. the power
key menu (or system-modal dialog on top of your game), it takes about
two seconds to switch back to the compositing mode. I don't see how this
two-second delay could be reduced, and it could be that the delay will
stay about the same due to required reconfiguration in the X server and
3D drivers. However, this is already faster (and more convenient) than
stopping and restarting hildon-desktop, and it is also possible to task
away from your game to another application and switch back to it later.

> To me, this is a very important feature for any future device, and I
> was disappointed that this is not apparently a high priority within
> Maemo.

Probably because the device is not designed as a gaming device, Nokia
has other devices that focus on gaming.

> I really want the next Maemo device to succeed, and one of the first
> things the gadget blogs and technophiles will want to see is the
> games. This means making Maemo 5 games friendly, and to me that means
> making it easy to port existing OpenGL games to Maemo 5.
>
> I don't know the internal workings of Maemo, and perhaps you have a
> good strategy in place for games; I was thinking purely of porting
> existing Linux games that were written for OpenGL. So I began thinking
> of what needed to be in place for this porting to be done.

I think the community developers can port 3D games for it, and they may
even run fast enough, but it's no PSP.

> I also admit I might have been influenced by the video of Quake3 on
> the Pandora. :-)
>
> I also don't expect Maemo to port the games, I'm just concerned that
> the path will be too thorny to encourage others to do it.

When there's a will, there's a way :P

-Kimmo