On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Niels Breet<ni...@maemo.org> wrote:
> My understanding is that everything that is in nokia-binaries, should be
> on the device firmware by default. The device should not have
> nokia-binaries in the repository list?

Yes, but the "nokia-binaries" repository is only a small part of it.
What about those hundreds of packages available in the SDK repository?
Which ones will be only on the SDK and which ones will be installed on
the device?

There is no way of ensuring the package will be installable until we
get the complete list of packages that will be installed on the device
by default.

>> That's one point I already asked once through IRC and no one could
>> answer: how could we make sure a package in fremantle extras-devel
>> will be installable on the device, if we don't know yet which packages are
>> SDK only and which will be available on the user's device?
>>
> At one point we want to add tests to the autobuilder/repository management
> tools to see if all runtime dependencies can be resolved. But this is not
> possible without Nokia providing us a list of packages(and dependency
> tree) to be used on the customer firmware.
>
> Here you see one of the problems in action which you get when the target
> OS is secret :(

Yeah, I think a simple list of packages would be enough to check if
all dependencies listed in Depends field are available. It would
simply concatenate this list with the extras-devel packages list and
simulate a package installation (e.g. using "apt-get --simulate
install"). If the package fails this test, it would be rejected.

Regards,
--
Anderson Lizardo
OpenBossa Labs - INdT