David Greaves skrev:
> I'll take a look at cppunit and see if I can produce a non-qt maemo variant.

Cool, thanks.

> OK, I'd love to help get this moved forwards but I'm not familiar with linux
> syncing (I run IMAP/LDAP at home and used to use eGroupWare/iCal so I've not
> needed to be up to now).
>
> Could you help me get it working and I'll put some wiki docs up?

You could look at the SyncEvolution docs at http://syncevolution.org, I
think. But basically, SyncEvolution is a SyncML client. Somewhere, you
need a SyncML server. You can either install something like Funambol to
set up your own (major hassle, but doable), or get an account on
services like ScheduleWorld (non-free) or myFunambol (free).

Since you have no GUI, you need to use syncevolution from the command
line. Use syncevolution --configure (with the appropriate parameters,
for example scheduleworld to install the default scheduleworld profile)
to create a configuration. Once created, it might be possible to set
configuration options (including username and password) with more
command-line usage, but it's probably easier to just go to
~/.config/syncevolution and open the config files you find in
subdirectories there in some text editor. Fairly easy to figure out what
to tweak.

>> Wasn't sure what URI scheme to use to let the user configure which
>> calendar to sync, for now I've settled on "id:<calendar ID>", and
>> defaulting to the same calendar that Nokia PC Suite would sync to.
> So I have no idea what you mean here...

It's about one of the config options ("evolutionsource"). If you've used
the calendar program, you may have noticed that you can choose what
calendar to insert events and stuff into, even create new calendars.
(The "N900" and "Private" calendars exist by default.) Only one such
calendar can be synced, and you can configure which one (or be happy
with the default, which happens to be the "N900" calendar)

> Lets start with a simple "howto"... assuming this allows syncing against
> evolution on the desktop

Technically, it does not. You can, however, install syncevolution on
your desktop to sync Evolution with the myFunambol web service, for
example, and then install syncevolution on the N900 to sync it, too,
with myFunambol. That will allow you to keep your desktop evolution and
the N900 in sync.

>From what I understand, the syncevolution developers are working on
implementing a desktop SyncML server, which would allow you to cut the
middleman. I don't think they're quite there yet, though. For now,
syncevolution is only the client. Since I keep my stuff on web services
anyway (and don't use evolution), it's perfect for me, though.

> and also assuming a linux only setup (no PC-Suite) how
> do I find out what values to put in what fields in what desktop apps?

On the desktop, you could probably just use the sync-ui frontend to sync
Evolution or whatever against your preferred SyncML server. Might need
to create something equally user-friendly for the N900...