ext Frantisek Dufka <duf...@seznam.cz> writes:

>> It has not been implemented yet, and there is thus not much
>> experience with running the whole OS from the big eMMC.
>
> As for getting experience - it is easy to gain it by cloning any
> current OS version to card ;-)

Yes, we just haven't done that internally in any official way...

>> There might still be some surprises caused by the performance
>> differences between ext3 and ubifs, or between the OneNAND and the
>> eMMC.
>
> For previous devices it felt faster when booted from card except some
> corner cases (frequent fsyncs in sqlite causing metalayer-crawler to
> take ages).

Yes, fsyncs on ext3 (in Tracker and elsewhere) is what I am mostly
worried about right now.  People here have brought up the idea to have a
small partition on the OneNAND specifically for database journals.
Maybe mounted on /var/journals?

> And BTW when OneNAND is free, in theory it could be used for swap (over
> ubi) causing less writes to eMMC when system is out of memory and
> already slow.

Yes, that's the plan. (Don't know the details of how swap will be put on
a mtd, though, but I am confident that our kernel guys will dtrt.)