Dave Neary on 02/24/2010 10:01 AM wrote:
1. New uploads get compiled with the new SDK, and get downloaded onto
phones with the old OS, where they don't work.

How? The only way that could happen is if a power-user downloaded the file manually and attempted to use dpkg manually. This should be frowned upon.

2. Developers working with the old SDK upload applications which don't
even build with the new SDK

The auto-builder builds our apps. Their builds would fail and never make it to Extras.

3. To mitigate 2, we decide that all Extras apps need to be recompiled
with the new SDK, resulting in a number of applications which fit into
both the categories above - some apps stop working until the user
upgrades the firmware, other apps don't build&  require changes and an
SDK upgrade from the developer.

It happens all the time in other Linux distributions. Fedora just went through the Qt4.5 to 4.6 transition itself! I don't see why there is resistance to this when it is a very minor change. If such resistance is warranted, let's call this Maemo 5.2 instead of Maemo 5.