OK guys, what's really going on here?

Stephen and Mark, you are both thoughtful writers and crucial members of the Mailman team.  Jim, you have made a generous offer that seems to have the support of the Mailman 2 user community, at least.

Is this about turf?  Is there something about Jim's proposal that requires resources (money, proprietary code, prestige, etc.) from the GNU Mailman group?  I really can't see a zero-sum game here, unless you are genuinely concerned that the continued viability of MM2 would be a threat to MM3.

I have a little experience here.  In 1979 an IBM programmer developed Rexx, which became the lingua-franca for all IBM operating systems.  Internally, IBM developed an O-O version of Rexx which was available only on OS/2.  In 1997, after many years of negotiation, IBM donated one of its proprietary products to an open-source project for the first time.  I was the president of the Rexx Language Association and established the ooRexx Project to port it to Linux and care for it.  In 2011, IBM gave us NetRexx, Rexx for the Java virtual machine.  We now also support BSF4ooRexx, which is the full ooRexx for the JVM.

These are three quite diverse codebases, each with their contributors/committers and project-level discussion groups, but there is quite a bit of cross-team communication and collaboration. Is there any reason why this can't be the case with Jim and whatever team he can assemble?  I can see that it won't immediately lift the entire burden of MM2 off of Mark's shoulders, but it's a better start (and example to set) than simply declaring EOL on MM2 and leaving thousands of admins in the lurch.

What am I missing?

-Chip-