Brian, your analysis is spot-on.

All of my MM2 instances support non-profit organizations which cannot afford the cost of the Internet bandwidth for a second-hand server in someone's basement, much less a part-time sysadmin. *_I_* am the only technical staff they have, and I am unpaid.  So yes, all of my Mailman instances run on an assortment of those "cheap cPanel hosts" you think so little of.  And I'm paying for most of them, myself.

I am retired, but my entire career was spent in mainframe OS systems & application software development, installation, and support. I have a great deal of experience recovering from the premature adoption of /New! Improved! /system software.  If it is a problem for a sixty year old software behemoth like IBM, I have absolutely no confidence that a volunteer open source effort is immune.
////
So *you are absolutely correct about the issue here*: I am volunteering my time & talents so there is /_no _//_money_/, and I have enough experience that there is a _/justified /__/fear/_.

What I don't understand is your vitriolic objection to Jim's offer. How is that any skin off your nose?  Do you see this as a zero-sum game in which every MM2 instance that doesn't "upgrade" is a threat to MM3?  If it's as superior as you claim, there should be a thunderous stampede to adopt MM3.  The bazaar will speak eloquently.  What, exactly, is the cock you have in this pit?

Bottom Line: As long as there are inexpensive cPanel hosts running Mailman 2, *I have no choice*.   So I greatly appreciate Jim's offer to pick up the burden and allow Mark to move on.

-Chip-
"I shoot dumps for fun. They are the ultimate Sudoku."