OK, I'm back and more or less caught up so I'm ready to continue this
discussion.

In his initial post in this thread, Jim suggests that he and others want to
join the Mailman Coders team on Launchpad in order to commit to the Mailman 2.1
branch there. In a thread on the merge proposal that started this, Jim quotes
my conjecture that he wants not only commit permission, but also the ability to
make releases and distribute them to the appropriate download locations, and
says that's "overkill". He also notes my suggestion that he make a proposal to
mailman-ca...@python.org which he has not yet done. [1] I mentioned that
previously in this thread [2] and Jim replied that my suggestions were "over
the top" [3].

So much for background. Here's my current position. Steve has presented a
summary of issues [4] with which I agree. For my part, I have stated that I am
willing to continue in my role as Mailman 2.1 release manager and to fix
critical bugs and security issues and commit i18n updates, but not implement
new features. I am also happy to continue to support Mailman 2.1 users via this
list. In fact, I just reported and fixed a bug [5].

However, if third parties are making changes to the code base, I can no longer
make signed releases of code that I haven't audited, and this auditing is what
I don't want to do.

Jim seems to want to be able to make these changes, but seems unwilling to take
over as release manager. So, what is the value of these changes if there is
never another release?

I think that's probably enough for this post. I will try to answer any