On Sun, 2020-09-13 at 15:36 +0000, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> OK, I'm back and more or less caught up so I'm ready to continue this
> discussion.
>
> In his initial post in this thread, Jim suggests that he and others want to
> join the Mailman Coders team on Launchpad in order to commit to the Mailman
> 2.1 branch there. In a thread on the merge proposal that started this, Jim
> quotes my conjecture that he wants not only commit permission, but also the
> ability to make releases and distribute them to the appropriate download
> locations, and says that's "overkill". He also notes my suggestion that he
> make a proposal to mailman-ca...@python.org which he has not yet done. [1] I
> mentioned that previously in this thread [2] and Jim replied that my
> suggestions were "over the top" [3].
>
> So much for background. Here's my current position. Steve has presented a
> summary of issues [4] with which I agree. For my part, I have stated that I
> am willing to continue in my role as Mailman 2.1 release manager and to fix
> critical bugs and security issues and commit i18n updates, but not implement
> new features. I am also happy to continue to support Mailman 2.1 users via
> this list. In fact, I just reported and fixed a bug [5].
>
> However, if third parties are making changes to the code base, I can no
> longer make signed releases of code that I haven't audited, and this auditing
> is what I don't want to do.
>
> Jim seems to want to be able to make these changes, but seems unwilling to
> take over as release manager. So, what is the value of these changes if there
> is never another release?
>
> I think that's probably enough for this post. I will try to answer any
> follow-ups.
>
> [1]
> https://code.launchpad.net/~jks/mailman/hcaptcha/+merge/389691/comments/1024990
> [2]
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-users@python.org/message/ADOK7LGWRKNM4EJIZKO6CSIJRWCYS74A/
> [3]
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-users@python.org/message/RUZCFKDQAS2AGTPD3GXMCN7B7YBQF245/
> [4]
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-users@python.org/message/XCGIWMFWRY63DZOYHJPRCCUYUXBNDK67/
> [5] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1895451

Since it's not clear enough, my "overkill" statement about specifically
about the laundry list of things that Mark said I would need commit and
update access to [1], which seemed above and beyond necessary to me.
More specifically that list of access-to-everything seems to me like a
jellybean test. e.g. "Ask for all of this so that it is impossible for
you get get any of it".

1.
https://code.launchpad.net/~jks/mailman/hcaptcha/+merge/389691/comments/1024988

I standby my feelings that some people want to quietly run away from
this established product and make it impossible for any others to take
over.  See Stephens previous comments about how there was no way he
could or would work with anyone working on mm2 because it was against
his objectives, yet he wanted to remain as one of the few in the Cabal
(really just who is the Cabal these days?), thereby preventing any mm2
people from being in the Cabal, the Cabal that Mark just said myself and
anyone else would need permission and access from.  It looks like a
rotten egg, it smells like a rotten egg,....

What I want to hear from the Cabal is that there is support and
appreciation for efforts by others to carry on with mm2 in any direction
it takes them and that their representation in the Cabal is assured.

-Jim P.