On 9/13/20 12:39 PM, Chip Davis wrote:

> Speaking as _a_ user, my requirements are simple:
>   1.  MM2 must continue to work,
>   2.  support must continue to be provided.
>
> Any proposal that jeopardizes those fundamentals must be rejected.
>
> By "support", I mean everything except new functionality: bug fixes,
> installation/administration hand-holding, dumb questions not properly
> answered by the user community, the occasional "Why does Mailman do
> this?" query, and any number of issues that depend on the encyclopedic
> institutional knowledge residing in Mark's and Stephen's crania.
>
> This includes structural changes to way email is handled (DMARC,
> encryption, etc.).  This does not include additional language tables, or
> any of the issues on my personal laundry list of "I sure wish Mailman
> had a way to ...".

This thread started because I refused to accept a merge request to add a
new feature, hCAPTCHA, to the subscribe form. The reason I gave was "no
new features", although I have other reservations about CAPTCHAs in general.

I think I have made my position clear and I think it includes my doing
all the things Chip wants, although I'm 78 years old, and it's not
unlikely that I will die before Mailman 2.1 finally does.

What I am opposed to is third parties making changes to the code base
and expecting me to continue to make releases, so I ask that any
potential group of Mailman 2.1 developers either fork the project in
which case, they can do whatever they want with their fork, or if they
want to commit changes to the Mailman 2.1 branch on Launchpad that they
be willing to take over the entire job.