On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 02:34 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> You're right.  If we're going to reopen the Mailman 2 branch to new
> features, there should be a much larger body.  So where is it?  Mark
> and I are not special.  We're merely here every day, we have acquired
> a lot of knowledge about common issues, and we dig into the code or
> the user's configuration when that's needed to solve a problem.

You're not alone in that, there are plenty of people who help out. Are
you one of the more prevalent this month? Sure!  Last month, not so much
(according to my email archive), etc.  People do what they can, when
they can.

> You don't need to have a title, an @mailman email address, or a commit bit
> to do any of that.
>
> You just do it.

Exactly!  But that is not really what this convo is all about.  You keep
taking it into the "end user support" arena, I'm focused on product
preservation.  There are multiple roles, as you well know, why do you
feel I need to fit in the role you define for me?

> It's *easy* to learn to support users, at least the relatively
> sophisticated, often service-oriented admins we see on most days.  So
> where are the folks who "just do it" and show day-to-day attachment to
> supporting other users?
>
> Bottom line: When do we get to retire?  What happens to our *users*
> when we do?  Eventually (ie, within 3 years or so) that *is* going to
> happen.  What are you going to do for our users?

Who's users?  ;-)  I think, based on this thread, you are going to have
a really tough time ever retiring from Mailman.  I think, and I mean
this with love and appreciation, you are extremely protective of
something you've shepherded.  Like a parent who is offended by a teacher
or professor criticizing their child.

> "Manage just the new features" sounds like a terrible deal for the
> vast majority of admins and subscribers, and a very bad look for GNU
> Mailman.

Let GNU Mailman, the FSF, and the Mailman community decide that and
don't prevent them from deciding that.

-Jim P.