On 2017-02-09 08:54:09 (-0800), Alan Hodgson <ahodg...@lists.simkin.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 February 2017 10:15:17 Philip Paeps wrote:
> > Also note that DMARC breaks forwarding like this (or forwarding
> > breaks DMARC, depending on your religious affiliation).  You can get
> > around SPF as long as your envelope matches your relay but for
> > DMARC, the From: domain also needs to be aligned.
>
> Forwarding does not break DMARC. A DMARC pass requires that either SPF
> or DKIM pass, not both.

I stand corrected.  Thank you for refreshing my memory.  It's been a
while since I looked at DMARC in detail.

> Forwarding only breaks DMARC if you modify the message and break the
> DKIM signature. Mailing lists that modify the Subject header or body,
> for instance, break DMARC. Normal forwarding does not.

Correct.

Stupid forwarders only break SPF, not DKIM.  So DMARC will not break any
more than SPF already will.

> Forwarding is still a terrible idea, of course. Spam has killed
> forwarding, IMO.

Absolutely agreed -- unless you have complete control over the receiving
end.  I don't mind phi...@freebsd.org forwarding to phi...@trouble.is
because I can whitelist the forwarder.  Forwarding *@trouble.is to a
mailbox @google.com or @hotmail.com or @yahoo.com on the other hand
would be a catastrophically bad idea.