In article <6dc1c120-5c8d-3d83-fdfc-c520f5c05...@schwarz.eu> you write:
>What puzzles me most is that I'm not sure how providers like Hetzner are
>supposed to reduce their spam rate significantly.

Hetzner is an outlier, and not in a good way.  Many other hosting
companies manage to control their spam.  The usual approach is to
filter the mail their customers send, either with "transparent"
filters hijacking port 25 traffic or by blocking port 25 and providing
a smarthost.

I suppose they might claim that under German law they're not allowed to
do that, but for one thing, that's not our problem, and for another,
Schlund/1&1 manages to deal with it.

R's,
John