Am 10.07.2017 um 21:45 schrieb John Levine:
> Many other hosting companies manage to control their spam.  The usual
> approach is to filter the mail their customers send, either with
> "transparent" filters hijacking port 25 traffic

From your experience: Are spammers relying on unencrypted SMTP? I just checked
and most of our outbound SMTP deliveries are using TLS.

> or by blocking port 25 and providing a smarthost.

That might work - at least if server got hacked.

> I suppose they might claim that under German law they're not allowed to do
> that, but for one thing, that's not our problem, and for another,
> Schlund/1&1 manages to deal with it.

Ok, maybe I'm just unlucky but I get quite a bit of spam via their relay
servers.

If I'm not mistaken also Hetzner's mail admins are reading this list so maybe
they can convice their management to do something about the bad reputation.

regards,
Felix