On 16 Oct 2018, at 15:12, Brandon Long wrote:

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM Luis E. Muñoz <mailop@lem.click> wrote:
I can see the value of the datapoint. That said, if the automated filter visits a confirmation link then it would be breaking COI. How are ESPs discerning between those visits and the ones originated by the recipient
actually clicking on the confirmation link?

Force the user to click something on the confirmation page?

Yes. It's not like there are that many options after all.

I'm sure that reduces the opt-in rate, but that's the price for everything
being terrible.

Well, the silver lining is that this will tend to inflate open rate metrics, specially for questionable ESPs/content which will have more clicks recorded because their email needs more scrutiny :-)

Hopefully this behavior is restricted to images and collateral, not
actual links... but once the line is broken, it's only a matter of time
I guess.

I doubt it's restricted in that way, I don't think that would make much
sense.

Heh. "A request to <destructive operation> was received. If you did not request this, you can ignore this message. If you want to proceed, click here". This is a very common formula. Even Google's security notifications about suspicious account activity seem to work this way.

It's not too farfetched that someone could use this to get accounts suspended.

Just to clarify, I understand the mechanism and its rationale. I just disagree on the weighting used to drive the implementation decision. This is clearly a case of "my system, my rules", with the impact associated with the big boys doing it.

Best regards

-lem