> On 16 Oct 2018, at 23:06, Luis E. Muñoz via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>

> On 16 Oct 2018, at 12:42, Brandon Long wrote:
>
>> It is pretty common these days for spam systems to sometimes visit links in
>> the email message to help determine the spamminess or phishiness or just
>> plain badness of messages.
>
> I can see the value of the datapoint. That said, if the automated filter
> visits a confirmation link then it would be breaking COI. How are ESPs
> discerning between those visits and the ones originated by the recipient
> actually clicking on the confirmation link?

Lots of different ways. Proximity to delivery, user agent, IP address are all
things successfully used to distinguish automated from non-automated clicks.

>> It's one of the reasons for the newer
>> list-unsubscribe-post header in rfc 8058 (as mentioned in the abstract).
>
> Yes, I'm aware. However, the context of the conversations on this topic that
> I remember were centered around making the link "machine actionable", in the
> sense that automatic unsubscribe would not need to jump through hoops but
> rather, straight unsubscribe. This could keep the traditional unsubscribe
> behavior of presenting a form to collect feedback on the unsubscribe reason.

That wasn’t the whole issue, as I remember the discussions.

> To me this is very different from plainly GETting a link in an email.
>
> Hopefully this behavior is restricted to images and collateral, not actual
> links... but once the line is broken, it's only a matter of time I guess.

It hasn’t been for a very long time. This is not new behavior at all.
https://wordtothewise.com/2013/07/barracuda-filters-clicking-all-links/
<https://wordtothewise.com/2013/07/barracuda-filters-clicking-all-links/> was
not the first time the behavior was seen, just the first time I publicly
documented it. (Note: others may have documented it before me, but that link
was easy for me to find)

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741