A phishing email with a bad link was partially responsible for the outcome
of the 2016 US presidential election.

Such messages are responsible for a large amount of damage at various
companies, measured in stolen trade secrets or actual money from accounts,
of even company wide shutdowns with destructive malware.

Opt-in confirmation or open rates on marketing mail just isn't going to
make that cut.  The benefits to the individuals or receiving companies of
the marketing mail is pretty small compared to the benefits to the senders.

Receivers are selling security to their customers, and the customers are
receptive.  They're spending millions per year on various protections.

I think some enterprises would be happy if we blocked all marketing mail to
their companies, especially consumer marketing mail.  We've had spam
escalations related to that from enterprises when we've made changes that
went easier on some better reputation marketing mail.

Brandon