In article <CABa8R6stPGzcCApzPvx43RBXxgHPGx-ndLj2P1Nujso=wvf...@mail.gmail.com>
you write:
>It is pretty common these days for spam systems to sometimes visit links in
>the email message to help determine the spamminess or phishiness or just
>plain badness of messages.  It's one of the reasons for the newer
>list-unsubscribe-post header in rfc 8058 (as mentioned in the abstract).

Quite right.  Malicious links often go through a long chain of redirects
so you have to follow the chain and see where it ends up.

For confirmations, be a mensch and put a pair of buttons on the
confirmation page, one for "yes, yes, send me an endless stream of
valuable offers from your Treasured Marketing Partners", and another
"uh oh, that wasn't me, don't let the bozo who did this try again".

I think I may have mentioned a few times how many people with names
similar to mine think that my gmail account is their gmail account.
Fake subscribes happen all the time, and they're often just dumb, not
malicious.  The dumb ones are the most persistent.

R's,
John