On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 20:15, Michael Wise via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> Heh.
>

> A perfect example of the Turing Test, but not in the way most people think
> of it…
>

>               https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084970/
>

> You really were talking to a live human after step 2, but understand that
> they are **REQUIRED** by our Legal Department, in order to comply with
> many, many laws in many, many jurisdictions, to reply **ONLY** and pretty
> much always with Boilerplate, and to follow strict policy on mitigation.
> And that’s all I can say on that matter.

Ah, I've had *exactly *the same experience trying to engage with the
deliverability team on a few occasions. The responses I had from MS
deliverability are in places completely interchangeable with Franck's.

However my clients don't send bulk mailings, just a consistent daily volume
of standard B2B stuff. No huge sender history on the new IP obviously, but
in a clean range from a reputable provider and the domain has over a decade
of history. I've done my best to distribute that reputation by amending the
SPF record in advance of the server move and all the usual stuff one does
to maintain reputation during a migration.

If MS legal is compelling the deliverability team to only perform a handful
of predetermined tasks and only reply with boilerplate, surely it's
hindering them to the extent that they're nearly useless? I imagine many
people are contacting them with more complex issues, which it sounds like
they can't help with due to their restrictions.

I know from experience operating across jurisdictions can be a challenge.
But this is the technical matter of supporting email deliverability, not
mortgage advice or contract negotiation... :-)

As an operator attempting to interact with MS systems, my squeaky clean
operation seems to make no difference. Deliverability support could
function better for people and 'smaller' senders in these situations.

I've had correspondence similar to Franck's where problems aren't solved.
Ultimately, emails to tenants on MS services aren't reaching them, through
no fault of the senders - a degraded quality of service for MS' paying
customers. How long will customers tolerate it once they realise their
provider's silently discarding or misclassifying legitimate mail? To me,
that seems like a fundamental thing you shouldn't do by default. Should it
be a priority for MS to ensure legit email makes it to tenants from smaller
senders? I feel like the current approach needs improvement.

Michael, I appreciate your responses and thanks for continuing to engage
with the list. I know you probably can't respond specifically to this given
contractual/legal limitations. I hope discussions are being had at MS about
how the deliverability process and feedback loop can be improved. Current
mechanisms don't seem to be there yet.

It would also be very useful if things like the current thresholds on
services like SNDS could be lowered to include lower volume senders, not
just commercial emailers and high volume senders. The current minimum
throughput seems quite arbitrary (despite having IPs I administer
registered in SNDS, I don't see any data). I'm sure I'm not alone on this
one.

I hope discussion from fora like mailop gets fed back internally for
consideration, improving the deliverability support will definitely benefit
everyone in the long run.

Yours optimistically,
Chris