* Brandon Long:

> If we leave googlers.com open, then phishers are going to use it to
> send messages looking like [...] "secur...@googlers.com" and do what
> they do best.

One solution to that is not to use "googlers.com", but to use a domain
name with no visible ties to a particular company. That's one reason I
use the likes of "monksofcool.net", where the only affiliation is with
the late and sorely missed Terry Pratchett.

A humorous domain name like that gives phishers little incentive to
abuse it, and even if they do, who would believe a spoofed message to be
sent by some bank, institution or similar?

> People spoofing your personal domain aren't likely to be trying to
> reap millions of US dollars from your customers.

Maybe one day... :-) I have more of an SMB perspective on these issues,
rather than global corporation.

> Which maybe means only that we're in violent agreement, different
> domains are going to have different issues and make different
> decisions.

Yes, quite so. Understanding the mechanics, possibilities and risks is
what it is all about. I wanted to clarify what works reliably for my
personal requirements (and for my customers).

-Ralph