On 7/25/20 1:52 AM, Christian de Larrinaga via mailop wrote:

> My question is is it useful?

Yes, absolutely. If it's a security-sensitive message, like one from my
bank, it's useful for my mail client to show that it was really sent by
(DKIM signed by) them to increase my trust in it. My bank does not sign
messages in any other way, so DKIM is all I can check in terms of
digital signatures.

Although I'd prefer that every message I ever receive pass DKIM checks,
I can (and do) simply ignore DKIM failures for messages that aren't
security-sensitive.

Of course, you can't blindly trust all DKIM signed mail either; when a
message it shows as being signed by domain name "X", I need to then be
sure that "X" is really my bank's domain name. This is where additional
MUA interface elements could be added; it would be useful to know "This
message came from bigbank.com, who have sent you at least one message a
month for the last 12 months and are in your address book", vs. "This
message came from bigbank.com.ru, who have not sent you anything before
and who are not in your address book".

But now we're getting back to the generic question of "is there a way
that bigbank.com -- but not bigbank.com.ru -- can always show something
that recipients get used to trusting?", and something like BIMI gets
suggested. In some people's eyes, the fact that it costs significant
money and effort for bigbank.com to make the logo be displayed, and that
it's not time- or cost-effective for small operators (or phishers) to go
through the process, will be seen as a feature. But the same thought was
behind EV TLS certificates, and that didn't pan out. I think that's
mostly because even if you show a "this is valid" message for certain
entities (whether the green bar of an EV certificate or a BIMI logo),
many recipients will not notice the neutral absence of that logo in a
DKIM-signed phishing attempt from a similar domain name later.

A system that actually works probably requires neutral feedback for
known legitimate messages, and warnings for illegitimate messages, so
that it surprises people when a message supposedly from their bank has a
warning.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/