 * The companies SPF is sane
 * The company has a higher risk when the domain is forged (eg banks)
 * The company has a history of being the target of malicious forgery
* The email system administrator chooses to for domains hosted on their own systems

We usually extrapolate the SPF information into a 'Known Sender Forgery (KSF)' format, for blocking at the SMTP transport layer, as well as outbound checking (infected/compromised email accounts)

And yes, it is a pain when customers allow forwarding, however more and more email operators are getting it, and the pain of blocking forwarding is less than the pain when users exposed to forgeries. Even our own invoices sometimes hit systems with aggressive SPF filtering, where the customer has forwarded it another mailbox.. So if you don't get an invoice, simply stop email forwarding ;)

Often it is a large phishing bot that uses the domain, (eg forgeries of wetransfer.com at hetzner are better stopped at SMTP layer, and pretty good evidence that the system should be recommended for inclusion in spam outbreak RBL's)

On another note.. anyone else seeing a large increase in Azure based spammers over the weekend?

On 2020-12-07 1:21 p.m., Scott Mutter via mailop wrote:
> 1. You must have an SPF record in order for the big mail providers to even think about accepting your mail (softfail seems sufficient).

> 2. It's not worth rejecting incoming mail simply because it fails SPF.There are too many badly configured servers out there

This has been my observation as well.  You have to have an SPF record... but because nobody apparently knows how to configure them accurately and there's no desire to educate people ... nobody really cares what the SPF record says.  But you've gotta have one!

Forwarders are one of the things that don't respond well to SPF.  But honestly, it's 2020 ... why are we forwarding mail to external services?  SRS might be a bandaid for this, but isn't the easiest solution to just tell people that forwarding mail to external servers is bad (mmkay).

For SPF to be effective, if you ask me, the -all modifier has to be used.  If you can't define a list of IP addresses where legitimate mail from your domain is going to be coming from, then what's the point of SPF?  So a message gets denied because you forgot to add that IP to your SPF list... now you know to add it.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 8:03 AM Paul Waring via mailop <mailop@mailop.org <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:

    On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 02:12:25PM +0100, Hans-Martin Mosner via
    mailop wrote:
     > In your experience, where does SPF really help? What are the use
    cases that I don't see in my spam-blocker tunnel vision?

    In my experience:

    1. You must have an SPF record in order for the big mail providers to
    even think about accepting your mail (softfail seems sufficient).

    2. It's not worth rejecting incoming mail simply because it fails SPF.
    There are too many badly configured servers out there - one example I
    see a lot is where a company has not added their web servers to their
    SPF record, but they send out transactional emails such as password
    resets. You end up not receiving mail or trying to convince the company
    that they should fix their SPF record (to which the response is the same
    as broken TLS - "problem must be on your end as it works for us").

    3. It does seem to be worthwhile having SpamAssassin take SPF failure
    into account, not as an absolute rejection but a factor which indicates
    that the mail might be spam.

-- Paul Waring
    Freelance PHP developer
    https://www.phpdeveloper.org.uk