From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Grant Taylor via mailop
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 12:03 PM
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [mailop] How stale is too stale for contacts?

On 5/4/21 12:42 PM, Andrew C Aitchison via mailop wrote:

> Are they offering you money or hoping you will give them some ?

Neither.  It was a 'Hey!  We (finally) published something!' notification.

They seem to be a start up security research company.  They hadn't done

/anything/ public that I'm aware of.  The message in question was their

first / initial use of the mailing list.

> I had shares in a company that took the official receiver

> 14 years to wind up* and I got a cheque at the end of it !

> There were some interim payments but IIRC there would have

> been gaps of over 2 years with no news.

> In that case I would have been very unhappy if they had thrown out

> the list as "stale".

I feel like "is an investor / has shares in the company" is a

significantly different association / relationship than a "sing up if

you want to learn more when we publish something" (with an implicit Any

Time Now™).

> Oh, and annual events that were cancelled last year because of COVID

> ought to have told you, but if you weren't told the 2020 date

> because there wasn't one, the announcement this year could be two years

> after the previous message.

Agreed.  But that's decidedly not the case with this example.

--

Grant. . . .

unix || die