On 2021-05-04 12:50 p.m., Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:
Hi mailop,

I'd like to know if I'm off my rocker or if the person / company that sent the message with the following excerpt is using purportedly once good contact information /well/ /past/ it's best by date.

Note:  This was the 2nd paragraph in the email.  The first was a shorter hi, here's who we are.  It then went on to go into seemingly on topic content for the company / mailing list.

You're getting this email from us because you had signed up for our waiting list at some point in the last five years, and we promised to keep you up to date. If you don't recall getting any emails from us, that's because we haven't sent any. This is our first, but we promise we'll write more frequently from now on. If you still don't remember, head to REDACTED and check out our online test. If you don't want these emails, you can unsubscribe following the link at the bottom of this email.

I did subscribe to the list in question -- using an email confirmation loop -- more than two years ago (25+ months).  So, on the surface, things seem logical.  But 25 months of nothing makes me think that the contact addresses they have on file are beyond stale.

Thank you for your time and have a good day.

Depends where you're located and the type of consent that was originally granted. For example, in Canada there is a 2 year expiry on Implied consent (existing business relationship), so 5+ years would clearly be out of bounds here. Where an Express consent (by CASL's definition) has no firm expiry so it would likely still be fine from a permission POV to send mail to.

GDPR might also have something things to say about collection, use, storage of the data for an extended period of time beyond the scope of the original consent.

On the other hand as others mentioned best practice would say that anything greater than 6 (or maybe 12 if you stretch) months old is too stale. I push clients to start thinking about stale addresses at 90 days as many mailbox providers have been more aggressive on filtering non-engaged mailing lists. The more frequent they mail to more aggressive you need to think about this. Does someone need another daily email if they haven't opened/clicked on the last 89?

It's been a while since I've seen updated stats published but, this has been fairly consistent for a long time, the average marketing email database has about a 30% stale (churn) rate**per year; or 2-4% a month. Over 5 years that could be a good portion of the list in question.

So overall not a great idea to send an email saying "Expect more from us" without also saying "Click here to continue hearing from us".

~

Matt