Fair. To be frank, when I appear to blame all of my challenges on Google it isn't actually blame in the traditional sense. Today is a good day, things are more balanced than some days. That means today 40% of all outbound mail from customers is going to Gmail. Next in line, 4% to Hotmail. Of course, Microsoft accounts for more than that with Office365 and other domains. It still wouldn't hold a candle to the Gmail traffic though.

So as you noted, that's what leads my priorities. The majority of my stack, preferences, and actions are based around Gmail. It's quite understandable that Google has their own way of dealing with some things, they do face unique challenges. Gmail is leading the pack, and all things considered I think they've been pretty fair to me in how they handle our large daily transactions.

This is why I'm really a big fan of ZoneMTA. It helps me to identify smaller trends as well as the larger ones, and change how I operate based on those unique conditions. Andris is nothing short of a genius.

On 2021-10-14 11:52, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
On 2021-10-12 at 15:59:20 UTC-0400 (Tue, 12 Oct 2021 21:59:20 +0200)
Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop <r...@rafa.eu.org>
is rumored to have said:

Well, I would say that any need to communicate with Google users from outside
Google will infuriate the random user.

s/Google/the Freemail Giant Cartel/g

It's not accurate or useful to view this as just a Google problem.
It's a collective problem of Google, Microsoft, Oath, and a small
crowd of smaller regionally/nationally prominent mailbox providers,
acting accidentally as a sort of collective. They do what works for
them and their *paying* customers, who may have no connection to their
mailbox users. They manage to support insane scales only through
automated monitoring, meaning that they can't even see any problem
limited to any one mail operator too small to be in that club of
giants. They can't even see some problems that may affect significant
quantities of mail via a myriad of tiny sites. They are not actively
hostile to those of us in the world of <20k-user operations, they just
can't see us in the 'noise' under the massive signals they get in
their exchange of traffic amongst themselves, handling the
predominantly legitimate traffic of big non-mailbox senders like ESPs
and e-commerce operations, and withstanding insane volumes of garbage
from the ever-changing sea of gutter-grade spam sources.