> Am 19.05.2022 um 19:16 schrieb John Levine via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>:
>
> It appears that Luis E. Muñoz via mailop <mailop@lem.click> said:
>> If implemented, the proposal for email could work similarly, if the large
>> ESPs took the same approach. This would only leave us with the
>> "other" type of spam to deal with. I would think that a spamtrap included in
>> the "do not spam" registry could be used to identify
>> non-compliant senders and other classes of spammers.
>
> Although they rarely talk about it, every ESP has a suppression list they
> apply to
> their outgoing mail.  Partly it's to avoid complaints, partly it's so if a
> customer
> tries to mail to suppressed addresses, they know they have a problem
> customer.
>
> It's often called a pander file, by analogy to a US post office rule.
> See my comment at the end of this blog post:
>
> https://wordtothewise.com/2016/09/global-suppression-lists/
>
> Also remember that the legal rule nearly everywhere outside the US is opt-in
> for bulk mail,
> so everyone is on the "do not spam" list

True and true, currently we maintain a "suppression list system" that drops
about 56k unique rcpt domains, and about 35k individual email addresses.
about 40-45% are hand selected and verified spamtraps, we track down and
prevent sending ANY mails to them.

Its hard daily work to identify and manage these lists, but otherwise it helps
deliverability overall a lot and a warmup is way easier to do too.

i would say only 1% - 2% of our clients are aware of this fact, for the others
"it just works", but for daily smtp business as for me an absolute must.

For example, a email marketing "green horn" joins to a client company, his
first action was to destroy the previous guys all well warmed up adreeses with
10 IPs they had
built years of reputation, all gone in under 20 minutes.

with suppressions i simply have a way to recognize a bad behaviour way earlier,
and can stop it before it makes damage. just think about uce-protect ;)

Its also a good way to keep track of activity in the lists over all clients, eg
when they sell or  buy lists, some are reactivating all of their hardbounces
etc etc.

"Also remember that the legal rule nearly everywhere outside the US is opt-in
for bulk mail, so everyone is on the "do not spam" list" exactly, and in my
opinion
the only way to go, as an ESP.