On 19 May 2022, at 9:41, Dave Crocker via mailop wrote:

> So, sure. We haven't been able to do individual-level blocking, so let's add
> a requirement for an additional bit of complexity. That will probably make
> this mechanism work a lot better...

Heh, appreciate the humor. It certainly won't make it work worse.

My point if you will, is that requirements are more complex than what's stated.
The reason we won't get them fulfilled—simple or complex—is because there is no
incentive for the bad guys to follow the rules.

IIRC, there is (was?) a "National Do Not Call List" implemented in the US at
the federal level. Telemarketers and other organizations are required by law to
scrub their own lists against this federal registry. This has not made a dent
in the amount of spam calls that I get on my various lines.

The response / recommendation to establish this new registry, IMO, is simply a
way to admit defeat with some grace.

Best regards

-lem