> On May 19, 2022, at 11:16 AM, John Levine via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
> wrote:
>
> Although they rarely talk about it, every ESP has a suppression list they
> apply to
> their outgoing mail.  Partly it's to avoid complaints, partly it's so if a
> customer
> tries to mail to suppressed addresses, they know they have a problem
> customer.

In fact some of the ESPs we certify have email addresses of mine specifically
as a 'red flag' because those email addresses *never* sign up for a mailing
list.

Anne

---
Anne P. Mitchell,  Esq.
CEO Get to the Inbox by SuretyMail
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal email marketing law)
Author: The Email Deliverability Handbook
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Dean Emeritus, Cyberlaw & Cybersecurity, Lincoln Law School
Prof. Emeritus, Lincoln Law School
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Counsel Emeritus, MAPS: Mail Abuse Prevention System (now the anti-spam
division of TrendMicro)