Once upon a time, Jim Popovitch <jim...@domainmail.org> said:
> I agree. Self hosted email is not hard, and it's just not super easy. :)
>
> The much harder aspect of email is getting your peers, family, and
> friends to adopt encryption.

Self-hosted email is hard (or really, impossible) for a high enough
percentage of the Internet population that it is effectively 100%.  My
father has been using computers since well before I was born, is still
working on rockets today, but I have to explain email technicalities to
him sometimes, things that we just take for granted.

It's similar in a way to how blogs were popular before a succession of
social media megacorps took over; the average techy could pop up
something on their ISP-provided web space back in the day, but the
average individual online now could not possibly do that.  Even dealing
with a hosted WordPress or the like is beyond most.  And even the
density of capabale people is way to low to support friends-and-family.

--
Chris Adams <c...@cmadams.net>