On 19.10.22 14:28, Bernardo Reino via mailop wrote:
The 554 occurs while connecting, so they really reject only based on the
IP/range, which is indeed quite brutal.

Hopefully this is just a misconfiguration (or a badly interpreted/implemented policy).

No, it isn't. It's the way Deutsche Telekom is 'protecting' their t-online.de
mail service. The are the incumbent in Germany's telco market, and it's quite
hard to get fixed line Internet access without them being part of the service
stack some way or the other. (Nearly any German DSL line is owned, and at the
bitlevel operated, by Deutsche Telekom/it's subsidiaries.)

Ironically, if you just go to https://t-online.de and search for "Impressum" (imprint), you learn
that "t-online ist ein Angebot der Ströer Content Group" ("t-online is a service of Ströer
Content Group") — the requirement of Deutsche Telekom, that there should be a web page on the mail
domain with an imprint identifying the operator ... is misleading for there very own mail service ;-)

Maybe they'll reconsider (not because of my e-mail, but because of the flood of complaints that should be — surely? — arriving 😄.

It's not the first time this has been discussed, and I doubt that any amount of
complaints from 3-mails-a-month-to-t-online operators would change their mind.
Unfortunately, they are quite big in terms of mail addresses, whereas you and I aren't —
thus far "the oligopoly has won".

But see my initial reply: it's unclear as of now if section 4.1 of their postmaster site
still applies, or if they now reject any application from "non-commercial"
mailservers (as their current statement implies).

Regards,
-kai
**