On 24/02/2023 19:19, Rob McEwen via mailop wrote:
Did you read the link?  Does your ESP have a postmaster account?  If they don't send enough messages ("a large volume") to Gmail they won't provide any information about reputation, except that that itself indicates that you haven't (and can't) collect enough reputation to be other than low aka poor.  SORBS certainly doesn't like that IP address.
/mark

Mark,
The PTR record (and matching FCrDNS) clearly shows that this is an official Shopify sending IP. Any system that blocks these, with rare exception, probably isn't very smart? ...or doesn't mind having many egregious false positives, where users see legit/desired messages in the spam folder? And I don't totally fault the SORBS listing because SORBS is purposely very aggressive, and that is why most spam filters that use SORBS - only use it for adding a point or two to a scoring system, such as SpamAssassin - and SORBS is very beneficial when used that way! But blocking these based on some spams getting through Shopify, or based on a SORBS listing - isn't very smart. The bottom line is that Google appears to be doing horrible spam filtering in this particular instance. Meanwhile, you should take a look at Christine Borgia's resume at LinkedIn. For just one example, she was THE Postmaster at AOL for several years.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/christineborgia/
So I think she knows/understands much more than what you give her credit for - and here's the thing - even if what you said about "collect enough information" is true - it's just not very smart for the spam filter of a hosting platform THIS large to treat such an IP as an "island" - without somewhat factoring in the other IPs which share common domains at the end of the PTR records (which pass FCrDNS and where they dynamic PTR records). In other words, a smarter system would factor into their analysis of one single legit Shopify outbound IP, the behavior/history of other IPs from this SAME sender, but of course not going too far with that, since an occasional individual IP can get severely compromised.

So, in this case, it certainly APPEARS that Google did NONE of that factoring in of other Shopify sending IPs, and treated this like an island?

Also, even if it could be shown that a shopify user was sending some spam out of that IP, unless that was an egregious situation - this is by far most likely a stupid Google spam-filtering mistake that's causing many legit/desired emails to be blocked, with probably far more such blockage of legit/desired emails than any spam this is blocking, if any.

Quite frankly, I'm constantly amazed at how often I see assumptions from so many - that assume Google is always right and the other entity is wrong - even when all the facts point to thy opposite.

This (which I didn't know) adds a whole different aspect to the issue - much has been said about how email is now centralised and is almost impractical to run as a small operator level, but if a company like Shopify and indeed Sendgrid can't assure mail delivery because the largest mail operators will reject mail sporadically based on non-specific criteria, and more that someone in Christine's position doesn't have someone they can call at Google or Microsoft or wherever, then there's a bigger problem.

Simon