On 12/07/2023 15:53, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
For most sending domains, targeted forgery to the world at large is a non-problem. No one is out there impersonating you or me in email to random strangers for financial gain.

That is simply not true. For the past two years we have been seeing an ongoing onslaught of malicious actors "forging" four-letter .com domains. There have been actual cases of the owners of those domains wondering why they're ending up in spam. The answer is simple - sorry, your letters are not differentiable enough from spam. That's just one example of many.

You're never too small to become random collateral. I'd say you're never so small to be impersonated either, but I can't share examples of that.

Mechanisms for general public authentication of email from strangers exist for the primary benefit of big senders, their customers, and their prospective customers who need to know that their spam is authentic.

So yeah, that is absolutely false.