On 7/13/23 4:00 AM, Hans-Martin Mosner via mailop wrote:
Has anyone on this list tried forwarding (e.g. for ex-employees) via attachment?

I have done exactly this on a onesie-twosie / manual basis.

I have .forward files on systems that I administer and can run into problems when I send an email from my main account to said system account -- for testing purposes. The messages make it to the system and the system tries to forward them per traditional .forward. The problem is that my main mail system rejects them as that system is not authorized (SPF) to send messages claiming to be me. -- SPF is working exactly like it should be.

The testing that I've done of having those messages be sent as a message/rfc822 attachment have worked out perfectly in this scenario.

The original message would be kept intact, while the outer message clearly originates with the forwarding agent who may even add a human readable reminder to the addressee to let the sender know about the changed address.

Exactly!

Opening message attachments should be possible with most modern MUAs, but TBH I don't really have much experience with that.

Sadly, I've run into too many -- what I'll call -- contemporary MUAs that don't handle message/rfc822 in what I consider to be an acceptable manner. Specifically, for a long time one of the email oligarch's web mail interface utterly failed to handle message/rfc822 and had zero hope of forwarding such messages.

My intention, once I find sufficing round2it chits is to write something that I can put into venerable .forward files to receive the message from STDIN and compose a new message outgoing message with the incoming message as a message/rfc822 attachment.

Aside: I'm still undecided if I want to rely on the system's email stack to send the new message out -or- if I want to have minimal connectivity to my primary email server for outbound submission. If I do the latter I'll likely want to make the script more self hosted and rely on fewer living off the land type resources.

I have found that originating a new email with a message/rfc822 attachment to work exceedingly well. Better than .forward did 25 years ago. Specifically it maintains the message as it was received and does not have any additional headers or modifications made to it.

Grant. . . .