>>> CeJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/29/2008 12:17 AM >>>
Poor Bill, if only he had Cameron Diaz's surname! This is why I say
Obama needs either an ethnic or Hispanic strategy, and I think he is
probably smart enough that he does have one--as soon as he gets rid of
the Clintons.

^^^
CB: Believe me, Bill Richardson is not the only Hispanic who became an
O supporter when Richardson did.  Colored solidarity took a big leap
with the racist moves on O. Richardson could feel it, because he has
experienced similar things. All people of color have analogous
experiences.  O is quite international.

^^^^

 However, by his very nature, he has upset the status quo
of the Demoncrats. They are getting ready to absorb him into their
bourgeois collective. The question is, will he see it as a loser
strategy and do something really different with his one chance at the
presidency and this election? If he loses, whatever strategy he
chooses will always be second guessed. So chances are he will throw in
with the Demoncrat consensus. If I were a betting man, that would give
slightly better than even odds to win (because McCain thus far has
failed to raise much money, because national security state types are
showing up on the side of the Demoncrats too, not just the Repugs, and
because the Repug in not an entrenched incumbent). OTOH, it all seems
dicey precisely because of the racism, because of a lack so far of
Hispanic support to Obama (or am I being misled by the
media--afterall, he won Nevada, right?), and because the Demoncrats
lose close elections because of the
conservative/Repug/rural/southern/western biases built into the
electoral system (and Senate too). They need a blow out. For a blow
out strategy, Obama will have to lead. He will have to step outside
the Demoncrat party that has rewarded him so far.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/61293.html

key quote:

>>More than half of Latino voters in 23 states said no Latino was
running for president. Only a quarter recognized Richardson as a
Hispanic in the race.>>

>>2008 Presidential election: Richardson races to gain Hispanic
recognition
Related

News---New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, Democratic candidate for
president, holds a forum with the Culinary Union at union headquarters
Tuesday May 1,2007.

Also on the Web

      More Richardson video resources
      The Richardson File

By Barbara Ferry | The New Mexican

Sat May 5, 2007 10:31 pm

Poll shows majority of Latinos unaware of governor's heritage

If Bill Richardson's mother had been an American banker and his father
had been the son of a prominent Mexico City clan, things might be
different. As it is, the native Spanish-speaking presidential
candidate with an Anglo last name faces a challenge convincing
Hispanic voters that he, too, is Hispanic.

``For all the Latinos here, I want you to know that I'm Latino,''
Richardson said in Spanish at a recent campaign stop in California,
according to a report by New American Media, a coalition of ethnic
media outlets. ``I can't convince people with this last name.''

Richardson has repeated that he's running not as a Hispanic candidate
but as a ``mainstream candidate'' who is proud of his heritage. He's
also repeated that he's running on his resume and not as ``a rock
star'' like Democratic front-runners Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

But in the Hispanic press, Richardson has celebrity status.

At campaign stops in Texas, Spanish outlets arrived en masse.

He's been featured heavily on media such as Telemundo, which asked in
one segment whether America was ready for ``a Mexican'' in the White
House.

In Los Angeles, he made history by giving a half-hour radio interview
in Spanish to popular radio host Eddie ``El Piolin'' Sotelo. Univision
anchor Maria Elena Salinas greeted him with a kiss at a convention of
Hispanic journalists and wrote a boosterish column about him, ``El
Presidente Richardson,'' on her Web site. In New York, Spanish radio
station owners hosted a fundraiser for him.

America Rodriguez, a professor of radio and television at the
University of Texas at Austin, said Richardson's heritage and fluency
in Spanish boosts him out of third-tier status for her and other
Latinos.

``When it gets around to election time, we usually hear these
candidates speaking this horrible Spanish,'' said Rodriguez, author of
the book Making Latino News. ``For Latinos to be hearing someone who
speaks our language correctly is very exciting.''

``That's what makes him interesting to me,'' said Rodriguez, who is
Cuban American. ``Otherwise, he's just another mainstream Democrat.''

Despite the Spanish media's excitement over having a candidate who can
handle more than ``si se puede'' and other tired slogans, Richardson
has an uphill battle ahead of him with Latino voters, according to one
recent national poll.