I could also add that the top military leaders had two sources of doubt:

1. the high-tech weapons and reliance almost entirely on air power and
its ability to drop bombs and missiles

2. the fighting coherence of the all-volunteer 'professional' military

It's interesting how point 2 led to Abu Graib's obscene sadism. For
any who were shocked at that sort of institutionalized sadism, I would
point out that (1) it's found in American schools and prisons, (2) if
you ever attended US military basic 'training' in the late 70s early
80s, you will recognize the behaviour all too well.

The officers, after Vietnam, were worried about the ability of the
career NCOs to control the volunteer enlisted across the lower ranks
and throughout the less popular military specialities (combat arms,
infantry, armor, artillery). So they re-doubled their efforts at using
this sort of sadism to control the force, while at the same time
creating a PR rhetoric about how the entire military was the most
well-trained, most professional fighting force in the history of
mankind. Some of the elite forces actually are, but they are not what
everyone thinks of as elite--the elite are the USAF, the naval and
marine airwings, the nuclear submarine force. Everything else is more
like life at high school.

CJ