On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:55:44 -0500 Ralph Dumain
<rdum...@autodidactproject.org> writes:
> Looks like the real story to me. Notice the entry ends with Gerald
> Ford. Social liberalism was killed off during the Carter
> administration. The secret of all mysteries lies in the '70s.

One of the ironies is that probably the greatest
philosophical defense of American social liberalism,
John Rawls's *A Theory of Justice* came out
just as social liberalism was beginning to die out.

I don't think that it is any great mystery what
happened in the 1970s.  In the mid-1970s,
we had the greatest economic crisis since
the Great Depression.  It became clear that
the institutional framework which modern
capitalism had been working under since
the 1930s and 1940s was no longer
politically viable.  It, therefore, came
under challenge both from the left
and the right.  But as things turned
out, the right (which was rapidly
gaining the support of big business),