To be fair to Chomsky, one reason why his linguistics has had so much
impact is he was there at the right time--some were trying to look
beyond structuralism and behaviourism, and here was a guy who was
arguing his approach to linguistics would prove more deeply
'explanatory'. Take a lot of fields in American academia that expanded
after WW II and you see key figures emerge, with much of their
influence and popularity based on what amounts to urban legends
derived from an important paper or book published in the 1950s or
1960s. Chomsky is perhaps the best example. Most didn't read his books
on linguistics but everyone cited him. I guess his egoism was that he
thought if he could turn an entire generation off of Skinner, he could
also convince them their empire was evil.

Getting back to the linguistics and evolution aspect, I think C Cox
was attempting to make anti-evolution arguments along the lines
Chomsky might himself make (there was a major set of exchanges between
Chomsky and Pinker--I think Pinker has to be one of the least
original/most influential linguists of our times, while Chomsky
consistently attempted to change the terms of how linguistics was
discussed and that has to be called a form of originality).

If you look back at the Haskins laboratory stuff I was citing at the
beginning of the thread, it could be fit into Chomsky's view--that
language ability emerges from the development of other abilities,
which is why the gestural origins people are now deeply interested in
mirror neuron research. Also, it's interesting that Chomsky should
latch onto 'recursion' as the only thing unique about human language
that separates it from other animal communication, since gestural
approaches to the origin of language also agree with this. And
recursion starts with the manual gesture capacities of humans. You
could have a 'phonology' without phones; that is to say, you could
have sub-lexical units of language that are not based on vocal
gestures, but you still need some way to account for how recursion is
built into language. So you might start with some sort of sub-lexical
unit based on manual gestures converging on human vocal abilities
(which surpass apes) but are, in turn, surpassed by mocking birds. In
which case we need to look more than ever at the evolutionary
development of the brain and things like mirror neurons.

At any rate, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Noam_Chomsky#Criticisms_of_Chomsky_as_a_linguist

Resistance to Modern Theories of Language Evolution

Steven Pinker criticizes Chomsky as being "militantly agnostic" about
how language might have evolved, and says that Chomsky has become
"increasingly hostile to the very idea that language evolved for
communication".[6]

    Many people have argued that the evolution of the human language
faculty cannot be explained by Darwinian natural selection. Chomsky
and Gould have suggested that language may have evolved as the
by-product of selection for other abilities or as a consequence of
as-yet unknown laws of growth and form.... [W]e conclude that there is
every reason to believe that a specialization for grammar evolved by a
conventional neo-Darwinian process. [Pinker and Bloom 1990, p. 707]

Chomsky's alleged resistance to the idea of language being purely a
product of natural selection is also criticized by Daniel Dennett:
"The language organ, Chomsky thought, was not an adaptation, but ... a
mystery, or a hopeful monster." Dennett continues that Chomsky must
consider language to be a spandrel, such as proposed by Stephen Jay
Gould: "who in return has avidly endorsed Chomsky's view that language
didn't really evolve but just rather suddenly arrived, an inexplicable
gift, at best a byproduct of the enlargement of the human brain."
Dennett says that "these two authorities" (Chomsky and Gould) are
"supporting each other over an abyss." [7]

John Maynard Smith, while expressing his deep admiration for Chomsky,
shared Dennett's views on this matter in a review, saying, "I [...]
find Chomsky's views on evolution completely baffling. If the ability
to learn a language is innate, it is genetically programmed, and must
have evolved. But Chomsky refuses to think about how this might have
happened."[8]

Chomsky has countered that he doesn't deny that language could have
evolved by natural selection for communication, merely that he doesn't
believe that this is at all self-evident, and he doesn't believe that
there is any convincing evidence that this must be so. In his paper on
this subject with biologists Marc Hauser and W. Tecumseh Fitch,
Chomsky argued that other plausible scenarios (such as sexual
selection) are equally capable of explaining the evolution of
language, while hypothesizing that recursion is the only property of
language unique to human beings:

    We submit that a distinction should be made between the faculty of
language in the broad sense (FLB) and in the narrow sense (FLN). FLB
includes a sensory-motor system, a conceptual-intentional system, and
the computational mechanisms for recursion, providing the capacity to
generate an infinite range of expressions from a finite set of elements.
We hypothesize that FLN only includes recursion and is the only
uniquely human component of the faculty of language. We further argue
that FLN may have evolved for reasons other than language, hence
comparative studies might look for evidence of such computations
outside of the domain of communication (for example, number,
navigation, and social relations).[9]

This response has been challenged by Pinker and linguist Ray
Jackendoff, who describe Chomsky's recursion-only hypothesis as
"extremely unclear".[10]

    We argue that their characterization of the narrow language
faculty is problematic for many reasons, including its dichotomization
of cognitive capacities into those that are utterly unique and those
that are identical to nonlinguistic or nonhuman capacities, omitting
capacities that may have been substantially modified during human
evolution.We also question their dichotomy of the current utility
versus original function of a trait, which omits traits that are
adaptations for current use, and their dichotomy of humans and
animals, which conflates similarity due to common function and
similarity due to inheritance from a recent common ancestor. We show
that recursion, though absent from other animals’ communications
systems, is found in visual cognition, hence cannot be the sole
evolutionary development that granted language to humans. Finally, we
note that despite Fitch et al.’s denial, their view of language
evolution is tied to Chomsky’s conception of language itself, which
identifies combinatorial productivity with a core of “narrow syntax.”
An alternative conception, in which combinatoriality is spread across
words and constructions, has both empirical advantages and greater
evolutionary plausibility. [Pinker and Jackendoff, 2005]