>>CB: In other words,
the fact that the signifier is _not_ the "thing" or processes that it
signified is the characteristic that allows it to get across the death
barrier that the body of the ancestor faces.<<

So that which crosses the death barrier is not actually a thing? So
what is it? Isn't there a danger here of the usual
structuralist idealism? That somehow the social-symbolic defies our
material world, subsisting in a 'third realm' that is crystalline and
godless but still immaterial?

Also, I think you have to separate that (1) language life and
development transcends the 'death barrier' and (2) that language, in
part, and only in part, conveys the information and knowledge we use
to learn and to work with others to create, produce, change our world.

Still, languages change over time, given enough time, because every
act of decoding and encoding in the real world of social being brings
about change, such that we would have a hard time communicating in
'English' with Geoffrey Chaucer (even if he didn't speak the way he
wrote).

And all it takes is one failed generation of knowledge transfer and
transformation and cultures can break down, fail to reproduce into
future generations.