OTOH, arguments have been forward that (1) there are human languages
without recursion and (2) recursion can be found outside human thought
and language.

I have my doubts about (1). It is a mostly unexamined truism of
linguistics that a language's phonology does not have recursion, but
that is because of the received structuralist conception of phonology.
Conceive phonology differently, and recursion seems quite possible and
evidence for it can be found. As for (2) well just about everything
that has been said to be unique about human language (other than that
it is human) has been shot down. For example, categorical perception.
All sorts of animals with well-developed phonetic capabilities display
it. So what is unique about human language might simply be in the mix
of common elements.

Here is an anti-Chomsky piece on recursion (although he seems more
intent on shooting down UG, which I'm not so sure is very interesting
now because I don't think even Chomsky still sticks to it).

What he is arguing here is Piraha language doesn't have syntactical
recursion as Chomsky discussed it. No mention of phonological
recursion.

http://edge.org/3rd_culture/everett07/everett07_index.html

So in the case of Pirahã, the language I've worked with the longest of
the 24 languages I've worked with in the Amazon, for about 30 years,
Pirahã doesn't have expressions like "John's brother's house". You can
say "John's house", you can say "John's brother", but if you want to
say "John's brother's house", you have to say "John has a brother.
This brother has a house". They have to say it in separate sentences.

As I look through the structure of the words and the structure of the
sentences, it just becomes clear that they don't have recursion. If
recursion is what Chomsky and Mark Hauser and Tecumseh Fitch have
called 'the essential property of language', the essential building
block—in fact they've gone so far as to claim that that might be all
there really is to human language that makes it different from other
kinds of systems—then, the fact that recursion is absent in a
language—Pirahã—means that this language is fundamentally different
from their predictions.

One answer that's been given when I claim that Pirahã lacks recursion,
is that recursion is a tool that's made available by the brain, but it
doesn't have to be used. But then that's very difficult to reconcile
with the idea that it's an essential property of human language—if it
doesn't have to appear in a given language then, in principle, it
doesn't have to appear in any language. If it doesn't have to appear
in one part of a language, it doesn't have to appear in any part of a
language.

It's not clear what causes recursion; in fact, just two weeks ago, at
Illinois State University, we held an international conference on
recursion in human language, which was the first conference of its
kind ever held, and we had researchers from all around the world come
and talk about recursion. One interesting thing that emerged from this
is that the linguists, mathematicians and computer scientists disagree
on what recursion is, and how significant it is. Also, there are many
examples of recursion lacking in a number of structures in languages
where we otherwise would expect it. So recursion as the essential
building block of human language, if Chomsky's correct, is difficult
for me to apply as an intellectual trying to build a theory of human
language, because it's not clear what it is, and it's not clear that
it is in fact essential to different languages.

So as an alternative, what might we say?  Well, recursion could occur
because human beings are just smarter than species without it. In
fact, the Nobel Prize winning economist, Herbert Simon, who taught
psychology for many years at Carnegie Mellon University, wrote an
important article in 1962 called "The Architecture of Complexity," and
in effect, although he doesn't use this word, he argued that recursive
structures are fundamental to information processing. He argued that
these are just part of the human brain, and we use them not just in
language, but in economy, and discussion of problem-solving, and the
stories that we tell.

If you go back to the Pirahã language, and you look at the stories
that they tell, you do find recursion. You find that ideas are built
inside of other ideas, and one part of the story is subordinate to
another part of the story. That's not part of the grammar per se,
that's part of the way that they tell their stories. So my idea is
that recursion is absolutely essential to the human brain, and it's a
part of the fact that humans have larger brains than other species. In
fact, one of the papers at the recursion conference was on recursion
in other species, and it talked about how when deer look for food in
the forest, they often use recursive strategies to map their way
across the forest and back, and take little side paths that can be
analyzed as recursive paths. So it's not clear, first of all that
recursion is unique to humans, and it's certainly not clear that
recursion is part of language as opposed to part of the brain's
general processing.