As usual, I'm just breaking into the middle of a thread, and I do not
know who CeJ  is quoting here, but I wholly agree with CeJ on this. The
idea of learning how to make a wheel from stories rather than directly
from another wheelwright is nothing short of bizarre. That in any case
was never the purpose of stories, ancient or modern. They are indeed
crucial to human society, more crucial than wheelmaking perhaps, but not
because they have the sort of utilitariand use claimed here.  CeJ's army
anecdote is telling:  even skills that _can_ more or less be abstracted
into a technical manual (and only in the last couple centuries has that
been common) cannot often be mastered without an instructor to _show_
one how to do it. And many skills cannot be so abstracted. Frying eggs,
for example: My grandmother could serve soft eggs with the yolks broken
ans pread out over much of the white. Now she had the advantage of fresh
eggs, but still. One can now buy 'organic' eggs with greatly improved
taste, and the yolk does hold better -- but I have tried vainly to
recover her skill -- and I doubt very much that a 1000 stories could
help much. One has to do it under the practiced eye of someone who has
the skill. Browse through any good cookbook. You will find the recipes
divide rather neatly into those which guarantee the same produce each
time by merely repeating the instructions and those which at crucial
points demand some kind of personal sense (gained only through another
person who has it or through constaant trial and error, not by following
instructinss. And a much greater proportion of pre-modern skills were of
the "frutying-an-egg" rather than "mix-these-ingredients-in
this-exact-proportion" type. In principle, perhaps, someone could have
learned how to make pottery on a wheel from some ditty passed down, but
I doubt it very much. And no one coulld ever master handmade pottery
from a manual.

One hint to what (for 'primitive' peoples: i.e. say 30k b.p.) is given
by the lady in the play who said how can I know what I think till I see
what I say." The 'wisdom' not the technology of the tribe belongs in
stories. They would define who they were by the stories they told of
where they came from.

Carrol