On Sep 1, 2014, at 8:07 PM, Gary MacLennan <gary.maclenn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> …I still believe that ethnic cleansing is on the Zionist menu.

Conceivably. But it’s also conceivable that granting the Palestinians formal
citizenship at some point could see their demands for equal rights channelled
and absorbed into the Israeli electoral system, encouraging their gravitation
towards parties like Balad and even Labour. As we know, granting democratic
rights (to vote, to form unions) is a two edged sword: it opens the door to
modest improvements within the system at the same time it saps more militant
resistance outside of it. Ruling classes often choose to institutionalize
disruptive and costly conflict in this way, and it may well underlie the
thinking of that segment of the Zionist right cited by Sheizaf. I wouldn’t rule
out any scenario.
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu