#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Is it not conceivable that the Middle East and its different constellation
of power is one in which traditional foreign policy "realism" is being
violated, while it is not in other contexts?

As for why & how, Israel is tremendously more powerful than its neighbors,
especially after the 1967 war and with its procurement of nuclear weapons.
It should be fairly obvious that it would have more influence than other
states, let alone the Palestinians. Moreover, because Israel is a
settler-colony built largely from without, it has a political advocacy
network that stretches well beyond the Middle East. These are (some) of the
factors that make Israel distinct, and, in my view, contribute to how
Israel is able to advocate effectively for what its politicos think is in
its best interest, often at the chagrin of US foreign policy planners.
There has been a tension between people in the foreign services, the state
dept, the CIA, etc. and support for Israel since the days of Truman, and it
only became more pronounced after 1967 when Israel became an even more
influential and prized asset.

Moreover, things like the Iraq War also show clearly that the US policy in
the Middle East specifically is more irrational. The US invasion Iraq was
by most IR "national interest" standards a tremendous disaster, even if it
worked out in the short-term interests of many zealots and profiteers.

- Amith

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Ken Hiebert via Marxism <