#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

"This is an important point. Our movement is trying to persuade young
people, especially Jews, to turn against Zionism so any blunder, if one
that is innocent in character, can be used by our enemies against us."

This sounds like the dilemma about ensuring white support in South Africa
during the anti-Apartheid movement. I agree with the pragmatism element.
The problem is that I do not think that how rhetoric sounds is the driving
force behind whether or not anyone, including young Jews, perceive an
attack. We are talking about situations of institutionalized racism, in
which racial privileges, whether illusory or material, are assumed across
the board by a host of different institutions, from Congress to the police
to the churches, etc. Jews are seen as the forefront and triumph of western
civilization while Arabs and/or Muslims are seen as the enemy within.

That means that, as others have pointed out, even non-anti-Semitic rhetoric
might be perceived as an attack on Jews because it attacks institutional
inequality. If we peg our rhetoric to what may or may not persuade young
Jews then the effect is that we are not only hamstrung from talking about
certain subjects that are simply inherently taboo (i.e. the exploitation of
the Holocaust; Jewish power in the United States; the Zionist lobby; so
on), while at the same time castigating anti-Zionist anger that others in
this thread seem to agree is not necessarily anti-Semitic.

I'm thinking of people like Steven Salaita. His Tweets were hardly nuanced.
If we followed this notion of trying to persuade young Jews, then none of
his tweets would have qualified. But at the same time, the effect of
telling him to watch his mouth because we need to appeal to Jews (or
liberals, or any other constituency) is that anger, outrage, and so forth
become anathema within Palestine circles. Something is lost when you are
forced to take the edge off your rage, it means that even within the
community that is supposed to be advocating for something, certain feelings
and thoughts are unacceptable. The idea also applies to much less
controversial stuff -- BDS, calling Israel an Apartheid regime, etc. All of
these things are arguably "extreme," at least within the American milieu,
and any one of those things could easily alienate someone who grew up
Jewish and affiliates Israel with good thoughts.

The end result of this line of reasoning -- not saying certain things
despite the fact that they are innocent, valid expressions of ideas that
are taboo, or invalid expressions of legitimate outrage -- is that Israel
is shielded from certain kinds of discourse, essentially to pander to Jews
specifically and Zionists more generally. Is that a good strategy? Is it
even necessary?

- Amith

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <