#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your input. I do, however, take issue with this particular
paragraph:

"It is inexplicable that they would see the suffering of Palestinians
and be morally outraged while having no such reaction to the Nazi
holocaust. You cannot find in their writings solidarity with
anti-imperialist struggles in general or defense of minorities in European
countries. Or support for any other struggles by Arabs where Israel isn't
involved. The only possible explanation for their "solidarity" with
Palestine, having internalized the mainstream narrative of a "Jewish-Arab
conflict" in the middle-east, is anti-semitism."

See, I don't see Palestine as just another human rights struggle. I think
there are obvious elements of the Zionist colonization of Palestine that
are distinct -- the warfare against a stateless people, the sheer length of
time that the violence has gone on, the settler-colonial element, the
support from the US, the Zionist lobby in the United States, etc. I can
think of plenty of reasons, then, why someone would particularly single out
Israel while not being very aware or supportive of other Arab causes.
Indeed, even within the Arab world, there is plenty of dissension over
Palestine. Just as there are many who have forgone their historic
solidarity with Palestine, there are many who support Palestine but are
silent or even supportive of the crimes of Bashar Al-Assad. Is it fair to
say that such people are "anti-Semitic"? Or is it more fair to say that
they are two different armed conflicts, and as such, different people will
come to terms with them differently?

Likewise, I would say the same about the Holocaust. The Holocaust is a
separate crime, and as Norman Finkelstein and others have written, its
memory has been shamelessly exploited by apologists for Israel. Given that
fact, in addition to the fact that the regime which carried out the
Holocaust has been crushed, scattered, and is (with the exception of some
segments of the far-right) almost universally reviled, it does not make
sense to treat the Holocaust on the same plane as the oppression of
Palestine. In fact, if the Holocaust were still taking place, and the Nazis
were still in power, the Holocaust would be undeniably the worse
oppression. But the fact is, the Holocaust, unlike the Palestinian Nakba,
is over, most of its perpetrators met the cold hand of justice, and those
who remain are fugitives.

I also worry that constantly trying to find & condemn "anti-Semitism" can
essentially function as a form of soft Zionism. If we are in solidarity
with Palestine, why are we going out of our way to find attacks on the
religion and culture of the settler population that is displacing them? Why
is it, if we know that many people who share our views but sometimes make
exaggerated comments or hold arguably exaggerated views about a very racist
regime or the communities that support it or identify with it, do we
believe they are espousing "anti-Semitism"? And further, if we recognize
that the rightists often use left-wing rhetoric, what makes the same
rhetoric "right-wing" when it is used by leftists?

- Amith

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Jeff via Marxism <