#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This thread has proceeded in a different direction, however I will clarify
myself in response to the disagreement Amith has expressed with my earlier
post:

At 11:27 04-03-15 -0500, A.R. G via Marxism wrote:

>Hi Jeff,
>
>Thanks for your input. I do, however, take issue with this particular
>paragraph:
>
>"It is inexplicable that they would see the suffering of Palestinians
>and be morally outraged while having no such reaction to the Nazi
>holocaust. You cannot find in their writings solidarity with
>anti-imperialist struggles in general or defense of minorities in European
>countries. Or support for any other struggles by Arabs where Israel isn't
>involved. The only possible explanation for their "solidarity" with
>Palestine, having internalized the mainstream narrative of a "Jewish-Arab
>conflict" in the middle-east, is anti-semitism."
>
>See, I don't see Palestine as just another human rights struggle. I think
>there are obvious elements of the Zionist colonization of Palestine that
>are distinct........

> I can
>think of plenty of reasons, then, why someone would particularly single out
>Israel while not being very aware or supportive of other Arab causes.

Well I absolutely agree that the state of Israel and its actions represent
an extreme case in a number of respects. If we were giving out academy
awards for the most egregious actions by a capitalist state, then Israel
would walk away with the most awards, no sweat. So yes, there are plenty of
reasons a non-activist would see the plight of the Palestinians and be
motivated to action (thus "singling out Israel") for the first time. But
all that isn't relevant to my point.

I wasn't talking about individuals who become outraged about Israel without
"being very aware or supportive of other Arab causes," or even being aware
of the Nazi holocaust if they haven't learned much history. I was talking
about right-wing ORGANIZATIONS and published WRITERS who cannot claim such
ignorance. I was saying that if a KNOWLEDGEABLE person or organization were
simply reacting to the moral outrage of Palestinian oppression, then they
would undoubtedly take a position (even if no action) in response to other
terrible violations of national or human rights currently taking place or
recorded in history. Mentioning the holocaust was just one particular
example, but a very pertinent one in relation to some fascists, since it is
universally denounced by almost everyone except for fascists who trace back
to the Nazi's. I concluded that their concern for Palestine and
insensitivity to (or knowing denial of) that historic crime, could only be
a sign of their antisemitism. I couldn't possibly give them credit for
compassion in the one case and not the other. They choose to support
Palestine, and no other Arabs, because they DO believe that anti-Zionism =
anti-semitism and realize they can make more friends using the former
terminology. Having them on "our side" is toxic; they aren't on our side
just because we share a common enemy, and we are wise to disassociate
ourselves from them whenever that would be in question.

Again, I'm not talking about ordinary people who are politically naive. The
fight against anti-semitism doesn't focus on what I would call "ignorant
anti-semitism" disconnected from a political outlook. So suppose apolitical
John Doe has a bad experience with his bank, and decries "all those Jewish
bankers" that screwed him, because he's heard that the world is controlled
by Jewish bankers. I might even express sympathy with him against the
bankers, but try to explain that most bankers aren't Jewish, most Jews
aren't bankers, and there is no widespread "Jewish conspiracy" beyond what
Israel has created for its own purposes. If I fail then he may well go on
to become a POLITICAL antisemite, but otherwise I just see him as being an
example of ignorance. In an atmosphere of organized anti-semitism that
could still make him dangerous, but in a liberal Western society if he
doesn't have much power and isn't violent, then I wouldn't worry about him
in particular.

But again, an organization that is political enough to be called "right
wing" cannot claim ignorance, and their adoption of the cause of Palestine
cannot be seen as having anything in common with our positions. That is my
point.

Further:

>I also worry that constantly trying to find & condemn "anti-Semitism" can
>essentially function as a form of soft Zionism.

Excuse me, but where did I say that I spend my spare time rooting out
anti-semitism? I am much more concerned with Islamophobia affecting Europe.
But the question Amith posed was how to explain and orient to fascists who
claim solidarity with Palestine. So I answered honestly: they are
anti-semites, and no friends of Palestine.

- Jeff