At 4:45 PM -0800 1/30/10, Paula wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>"The price of the climate deniers being wrong is much greater than
>the price of the global warmers being wrong".
>
>The classical example of this kind of reasoning is Pascal's Wager:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

Indeed it is.  Which reveals an awful lot about the debate.

Nobody here doubts that capitalism rapes the world.  Largely this has
occurred, in recent decades, through corporations who have 'become'
'people' by an amazing feat of 'law'!  And what have we gotten:  a
cancer epidemic, toxic waste, poisonous chemicals everywhere in
everything, elimination of whole species, etc.

Capital had other ways of obliterating ecosystems at other times -
just read your Galeano or your Bacon - but now we're selling genetic
code and dependant on aspartame instead of sugar.  This is a whole
other world.

To my eyes, it's not a world that the 'Global Warming' issue
addresses in any meaningful way.

Am I the only one who loses my mind when I see 'people' like Chevron
or BP 'talk' about "carbon footprints"?  Once, early in the
disgusting campaign, I sent an e-mail asking about THEIR carbon
footprint ... just to decompress.

This debate - one given huge amounts of attention by an institutional
media which always operates in opposition to the public good -
DIVERTS attention from the cause of environmental justice.  It exists
as a distraction to avert our eyes from what presents itself in the
dioxin-filled soil beneath our own two feet:  who is really guilty.

In the last year, we have learned about Al Gores HUGE financial stake
in the Green Industry, watched NBC have "Green" days to raise
awareness of the issue, and discovered that East Anglia University
has basically been operating as a propaganda shop for the 'global
warming' agenda.

Color me a bit dubious.

The outcome at Copenhagen in response to the 'global warming' agenda,
along with the suspicions that Russia leaked the East Anglia e-mails,
suggest to me that there's WAY more to this issue than Sarkozy
yammering that the "survival of the human race" depended on this
issue (and bailouts and 'al qaeda').

I'm not saying Sarkozy is lying.  I'm saying Sarkozy is Sarkozy.

And if we're not careful, all we'll see is capital's "carbon
footprint" because it blew by us after the headfake.

Solidarity,
Shawn